How to sign into Hotmail?
If you are worried about how to sign into Hotmail, then it is a simple and easy job. The only difference here is that you will now be making use of the outlook.com login page to sign into Hotmail than the Hotmail sign in page. Everything else is the same as before. The following is the procedure to sign into Hotmail inbox.
- Visit the outlook.com sign in page using your favorite web browser.
- You can also type hotmail.com in the address bar of the web browser and you will be directed to the outlooook.com sign in page.
- At the sign in page, you will see a type field with email, phone or Skype name written inside.
- Click inside this box and type in your Hotmail email address. It is important that you type the whole email address that ends in @hotmail.com as you want to login to Hotmail inbox.
- Once done, click on the ‘next’ option just below the type box.
- If the email address hat you have typed is a wrong one, then Microsoft will let you know that the account does not exist and will ask you to enter another email address or to get a new one.
- If the entry is correct, you will be directed to the password page. Here, you will find a type box with ‘password’ written inside it.
- Click inside the password box and then type in the password for the Hotmail email address.
- If you will be accessing Hotmail inbox using the same computer, then you can tick the checkbox next to the ‘keep me signed in’ option. This will allow you instant access to Hotmail inbox from your next visit to the outlook.com website. You will never need to key in your Hotmail email address and password anymore if you are trying to get access to Hotmail through this computer.
- After this, just click on the ‘Sign in’ button to get connected to your Hotmail inbox. Once there, you can check out the unread messages or compose a new email.
Hotmail sign in problems
Are you having problems signing into Hotmail account? The following are certain solutions that you can try if you are having problems signing into Hotmail inbox. The first thing you need to do before trying out other methods to correct the sign in issue is to check if you are using the correct Hotmail email address and the password. If you are sure of the password that you have entered for a particular email address, then check if the CAPS LOCK option is turned off or not. As the password is case sensitive, even if the caps lock is on and you have entered the right password, you will be denied access to the Hotmail account. Also, check if the email address that you type is spelled correctly or you have missed any character in between. After you have double checked the entry of your mail address and password and still you are not able to get to your Hotmail inbox, then follow these simple tips to recover your Hotmail account.
Resetting your password
The following is the procedure that you need to follow if you want to reset your password.
- Open a web browser and type outlook.com in the address bar and then press ‘enter’ key.
- You will be taken to the Hotmail sign in page where you will need to type in your email address in the type box. Then press the ‘next’ option.
- You will be directed to the password entry page. As you want to reset your password, look for the ‘Forgot my password’ option and click on it.
- You are taken to the ‘Why can’t you sign in?’ page. Here, you will find three different options to choose from in order to recover your password. The options are “I forgot my password”; “I think someone else is using my Microsoft account” and “I know my password, but can’t sign in”.
- Choose the option “I Know my password, but can’t sign in” by just checking side the circle next to this option. Once done, click on the ‘next’ button.
- In the new page that shows up on your screen, enter the email address for which you are having trouble logging into the account. Enter it in the first box that you see on the screen. The email address should be the one that ends with Hotmail.com domain.
- The next option is to enter the characters or the captcha code that you see on the screen correctly in the box provided for it. This is to make sure that you are a human and not a robot. Then, click on the next button.
- You will be asked to verify your identity on the next page. You will be asked to choose an option through which you will want to receive the security code. It might be the alternate email address and the phone number that you had given when you signed up for the Microsoft Hotmail account.
- You will receive a code to the option that you have chosen.
- Enter the code that you have received in the respective box on the next screen and now you will be able to create a new password.
- Try logging into the Hotmail account with your username and the newly created password.
Signing into Hotmail using iOS
Before you sign into Hotmail on your iPhone or iPad, you will have to setup Hotmail on the iOS devices. The procedure to setup Hotmail on iPhone is as follows:
- Tap on the home screen of your iPhone or iPad and look for the Settings option.
- Tap on settings and go to Mail, Calendars, Contacts and tap on it.
- From the list, choose the Add account option and tap on it.
- Look for outlook.com and tap on it.
- You will find a new page with a few details to be filled in. You will have to enter your Hotmail email address, password and a description of the account in the respective fields.
- Once done, click on the next option you see on the top right-hand side of the screen.
- You can choose what Hotmail data you would like to receive on your iOS device. You also have the option to sync your contacts, emails, reminders and calendars with Hotmail. Once you have chosen what all you need, tap on the ‘Done’ button.
- Visit the mail application on your iOS device. You will find the newly created Hotmail account to be there.
- You can also tap on the Hotmail email app on your phone that you can find on the home screen. If you do not have the app preinstalled on your phone, then you can download it from the iTunes Store.
- Just tap on the Hotmail app and sign in using your Hotmail email address and password and you will get instant access to Hotmail inbox on your iOS device.
Sign into Hotmail on Android phone
You can stay connected with your friends, co-workers, business contacts and family members on Outlook even on the go through the Outlook.com email app installed on your phone. Microsoft has activated the active sync feature that will give you the option to sync your emails, calendars, and contacts onto your phone using the @hotmail.com account. The following is the process to set up the Microsoft account on your Android phone.
- Tap on the home screen button on your phone and then look for the ‘Settings’ option.
- Tap on it and then look for the Accounts option. Tap on it and then choose the ‘+ Add account’ option.
- In the list that shows up on the screen, tap on corporate or Microsoft exchange option.
- Now type in your Hotmail email address and the password in the respective type fields and thinktap‘next’ to initiate the Microsoft account setup process.
- In the account setup page, enter your email address, password, choose the use secure (SSL) connection option and then tap on the next option at the bottom of the screen.
- You can then choose the default settings option and finally tap next to create the Hotmail account on your phone. Now it is ready to use.
- Just tap on the Hotmail app on your home screen to load the Hotmail email service. For the first time, you will need to enter your Hotmail email address and the password to sign into your account on the phone. After this, you will be taken to your inbox directly whenever you tap on the Hotmail icon.
Setup two-step verification for Hotmail
If you want to make it harder for anyone to get access to your Hotmail email account, you can setup the 2-step verification for your Hotmail account. With the 2-step verification in place, accessing Hotmail inbox will not be possible only with your username and password. There is a third element that is needed to gain access to Hotmail inbox and that will a special code that Hotmail will send to your mobile or alternate email address.
2-step verification with phone number
- Sign into the Hotmail email account using your login credentials.
- Once you are in the inbox, click on your name at the top-right corner and then choose the Account settings option.
- Here, you will have to click on the ‘setup two-step verification’ option and then click the next option.
- From the drop-down menu list, choose the ‘A phone number’ option and enter your active phone number in the space provided.
- Next, choose the option of how you would like to receive the security code. The options available are as a text message or a call back.
- After choosing your suited option, click on the next button.
- You will receive a code on your phone from Hotmail. Enter the code on the subsequent page and then once again click on the ‘next’ option. Finally, click on the ‘finish’ option to complete the setup.
Setup 2-step verification using an email address
You can even setup two-step verification for your Hotmail email account in such a way that you receive the secret code on your alternate email address.
- Sign into your Hotmail email account and click on your name that you see in the top-right corner of your inbox.
- In the drop down list, click on the Account settings option and from the list; choose the setup two-step verification link.
- Click the next option.
- From the drop down list, chose an alternate email address option and then provide this alternate email address in the type box. Then, click next option.
- A code is sent to your alternate email address. In order to retrieve the code, log into the alternate email address and check for the new message from Microsoft on your inbox.
- Collect this code and move to the two-step verification setup page. Enter the code in the type box and then click the ‘next’ button.
- Click next once more and finally the finish button to complete the setup of 2-step verification.
Hotmail is the oldest and the first email service to be offered on the web for free. It was started by two friends Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith. Hotmail is a service that helps people to send and receive emails using their computer and an internet connection. Hotmail took the world by storm and Microsoft soon acquired Hotmail from its founders. After the acquisition by Microsoft, Hotmail had gone through a lot of changes and upgrades and now it has been changed to the outlook.com. Anyone having an old Hotmail account may be surprised that the Hotmail login page is no more available on the internet. If he or she is worried that their accounts cannot be accessed, then Microsoft has made the provision for such people through the outlook.com. You can access your Hotmail inbox through the new outlook.com email service by entering your Hotmail login credentials in the respective type boxes. You will be directed to the Hotmail inbox without any hassles and you can compose a new email or read the unread emails.