Create an Account
Once you reach the create an account page of the Microsoft, you will see a form which requests for various identifying and contact information as well as the desired email account name and the password, preferred by you. You need to follow the on-screen instructions to fill the account create form. There is no need for the user to fill all the fields in the form. However, if you want to keep your personal information to remain confidential, it is better to fill all the information fields. This information will be useful to Microsoft in recovering your account in case you forget your account password or lose access to your Hotmail or outlook account.
Filling the form
- In the first two fields on the top of the page, enter your first name and last name in that order.
- In the field under the username option, enter your email address if you already have any with Gmail, or Yahoo. If you do not have an email address, you can create a new username ending with @outlook.com.
- The next field is very important for your mail account. Your password for the account is the key to access your emails. The password you create should have a minimum of 8 characters. Your password is case sensitive. You can combine uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers and special characters to create a difficult password for hackers to guess.
- You can proceed to fill the remaining field once Microsoft accepts the username and password provided by you.
- Now reenter the password in the field provided, to confirm your mail account password.
- In the filed under country/ region, select your country from the drop-down menu.
- Under the birth date field, enter the month, day and year of your birth using the drop-down option.
- Select and enter your gender from the drop down option in the filed under gender.
- Microsoft needs your phone number to keep your info and account safe. So provide your phone number with country code. Select the country code from the drop down menu.
- Provide your alternate email address from another email provider in the next field. Microsoft will send the password reset information to this alternate email address, in case you forget the Hotmail or outlook.com password.
- Before proceeding, Microsoft wants you to ensure that you’re a real person and so will ask you to fill the characters given as an image in the next field. You can opt for a new image or audio version if the characters are not clear to you or if you cannot see the characters.
- If you want to receive promotional offers from Microsoft click on the small box. You can also unsubscribe this anytime you prefers.
- You can review the privacy and cookies statement and agree to the Microsoft services agreement by clicking on the link “create account”.
- Once the Hotmail or outlook account is created, you can test the login using your new username and password by visiting the https://login.live.com
Changing Hotmail account password
YourHotmailis protected by your password, whether you opt for automatic login or not. Though you set up the password for the account at the time of account creation, you can change your password whenever you feel it is necessary to protect the mail account and its contents. To change your Hotmail account password you need to first login to your email account. Go to the ‘sign in’ page of Hotmail or outlook and enter your credentials like username and case-sensitive password and click “sign in” link to access the account.
The options menu will be visible on the top right corner of your screen. Click on “options menu” and then on “More options”. You can see “Manage your account” link here. Select “View and edit your personal information” from managing your account and opt for change password.
You can also go to https://account.microsoft.com and select security and privacy on the blue bar on the top of the page and under account security select ‘change password’ to create a new password for your Hotmail account. You will be directed to the area where you need to provide password reset information. Click on “change” option next to the password field. You need to enter your present password under the “old password” field. Type in the new password you prefer under “type your new password” field. Again, you need to enter your new password in the “Retype your password” field. You can check the strength of your new password using the password strength tool provided by Microsoft. If you are satisfied with the strength of the password, click on the “save” button at the bottom of the page. Your password will get changed. You can change your password in every 72 days by clicking on the option provided above the “save” button.
Hotmail is the free online email service provided by Microsoft. This is a web-based service and it is possible for users to access the service from any location in the world using the web browser. When it was launched in 1996 it was the only free web-based email service available at that time. In 1997 Microsoft acquired the service and it was renamed as Outlook in 2012. You will be able to use Microsoft services like instant messaging, Xbox, etc., apart from sending and receiving emails when you have Microsoft Hotmail or outlook account. The OneDrive feature offered by Microsoft allows the users to access the files or data in your mail inbox using PCs, iPads, Mac systems, and smartphones. Nowadays, Microsoft does not provide the email address with the Hotmail domain; instead you have to create account ID with outlook domain. All the present Hotmail users can continue with the Hotmail domain email address. These accounts are, however accessible only through Outlook.com. If you are trying to create a Hotmail account by visiting www.hotmail.comand click sign up button, you will reach https://signup.live.compage which allows you to create only a new Outlook.com email address.