The main change comes in the way Hotmail account is accessed. If you are looking to log into your existing Hotmail account the steps below need to be followed:
- Log onto outlook.com. The domain Hotmail.com has been merged with the same and you will be redirected to this domain address for logging into your Hotmail account.
- The login panel is common for Outlook and Hotmail users.
- You need to key in your entire email address in the username panel and your password in the password field.
- You can opt to remain signed in by clicking the option provided. This will ensure that you need not sign in every time you wish to access your Hotmail account.
The above steps will help you come onto your Hotmail account page. In case you are concerned about the safety and security of your inbox, you can make the following changes in the security settings:
- Update your personal information such as providing a valid and current phone number. This will help to receive a security code as a text message in case you wish to activate the two step verification process during signing up.
- Update your alternate email address in case the one provided has become defunct.
The above steps will help you update your account security features. What’s more, here you will find the option to activate the two step verification process. This would require the following steps:
- Click on the option to activate the same. This will require you to input a security code additionally to keying in your password every time you wish to sign into your account.
- Microsoft also provides the option to not have to input your password or key it in every time you need to log in through a security key feature.
- When the two step verification process is initiated you will need to key in the password that you have provided for your account addition to which there would be a security code that would be sent as a text message to your registered mobile number. You need to key in the code as well to allow access to your account.
Microsoft makes it more easy and secure by allowing you to surpass the password keying in feature every time. You will be able to access your account directly by keying in the unique code that is sent to your phone every time you wish to access your account. This will save you the hassle of having to enter your password every time. It will also help you make your account more secure.
If you are wondering why you need the two step verification process, it is there to help enhance the security aspect of your account. As many Hotmail accounts have been subject to hacking attacks you would want to ensure that your account cannot be easily hacked into. For these reasons, it is imperative that you activate the two step verification process that Microsoft provides. You will get several benefits from the same:
- Ensure greater security for your account.
- Ensure that you have a backup for account recovery in case that is required.
With your phone number validated, you can use the same for account recovery in instances when your account gets locked out or you forget your account password. The text code message or phone call helps you gain access to your account easily. This can also replace the need to key in your password every time for signing into your account.
Hotmail has been a pioneering email service, launched at a time when web mail clients were a novelty. Having started the trend, this email service was soon taken over by Microsoft. It remained as a separate domain for long though, it was also accessible to MSN service customers on MSN domain. After that, Microsoft started an integrated campaign whereby they wanted to get all email services under the brand together on a single domain. For that reason Hotmail has now been merged and become a part of the Outlook web based email service launched by Microsoft. Though Hotmail has lost its independent identity, existing users can still access their email inbox as well as avail of the new features of the new web mail service client.