When it comes to signing into your Hotmail account, if you have not been using this account for some time, you might wonder what kind of problems you might face. Indeed, many accounts become inactive when users do not log into them regularly.
If your Hotmail account has become defunct it might be difficult to simply log into it again. Again, a defunct account also becomes easy prey to spamming and hacking attempts.For these reasons you need to keep your Hotmail account active by regularly signing in. At the same time, signing in the right way will help you keep your account secure from unwanted privacy invasions.
Today’s signing into Hotmail account will need you to go through the following steps:
- Hotmail has become part of the Microsoft Outlook service. Even if you type in Hotmail.com you will be redirected to this domain.
- Here you will find a login panel for all Microsoft email service users.
- You need to type in your entire Hotmail address in order to gain access to your Hotmail account.
- The password would remain the same as you used for your Hotmail account.
If you are logged into your Hotmail account after a considerable time span, chances are that you might have forgotten your email address and password. No matter which field information is missing here are the steps to recover the same:
- When you type in the details as you remember and they are incorrect, you can click on the option for recovering your password.
- You would be prompted to enter the alternate email address you had entered at the time of creation of Hotmail account.
- When you have provided the correct details you will find a reset link emailed to your alternate email address.
- With the help of the link you will be able to create a new password for your account.
Once your sign in details are recovered, it would be advisable that you update your personal information and security related settings in your account. Being part of the new Outlook service, you will be able to benefit from the enhanced security features that Microsoft offers. You can activate the two step verification process as well for signing into your account. If you have lost your account details, the answers to the secret questions will also help to open up your account. The following details are necessary to update for your account:
- Update your personal phone number. This is necessary for account recovery as well as for the two step verification sign in process. In both cases a security code is sent as a text which needs to be keyed in addition to entering the password.
- Update your alternate email address. In case the one you provided is no longer valid, you need to provide a valid email address which can act as an alternative in case you have forgotten password and need to reset the same.
These are some of the several details you need to look into to make your sign in secure for your Hotmail account. With the new changes of Outlook domain added to Hotmail accounts as well you can enjoy a modern interface and innovative features in your existing Hotmail account.
Hotmail has been the pioneer in email services, having introduced the world to the concept of free web based email. Before Hotmail came into being, the internet service providers started to offer email services but for a subscription fee. Hence, the service was restricted and only among those who used and purchased such services. When Hotmail was introduced it helped to free email as a service that could only be availed for a fee. Instead, Hotmail helped people to communicate with each other through the internet connection and as a web based service.
Hotmail has undergone several changes since the late nineties when it was introduced. It was then taken over by Microsoft. From an independent identity Hotmail then became part of MSN’s offerings. Those who were members of MSN were able to access Hotmail and use it as their email account. It then was made a part of Microsoft Live and today Hotmail has been integrated into the new Outlook email service launched by Microsoft.